From this province houses were founded on the Pacific Coast, the first (St. Joseph‘s Hospital) being established in 1890 at Bellingham, Washington (Diocese of Seattle). Mother Javouhey died in 1851. The community increasing in proportion to its more extended field of labor, a commodious building was erected to answer the double purpose of novitiate and academy, the latter being incorporated in 1853 under the laws of the State of Missouri. As a Sister Membership in the Sisters of St. Joseph is a decision that results from a womanâs response to her relationship with God. The congregation, which numbers 187, has charge of a hospital, training school for nurses, normal school, a home for feeble-minded children, an orphan asylum, and several other educational institutions, besides supplying teachers for 7 parish schools of the diocese. They were followed, two years later, by seven sisters for Webster, and in 1883 by twelve more for the cathedral parish, Springfield. The rule is based on that of St. Augustine. The congregation received the approval of the Holy See, March 31, 1862. In 1907 the sisters established a mission at Braddock, Pennsylvania, for work in the parochial schools there. In 1901 the motherhouse was transferred to Baden, Pennsylvania. Jean-Baptiste de la Croix Chevriere, Count of St-Vallier, later Bishop of Quebec, two Sisters of St. Joseph from Le Puy took charge of a hospital recently founded by him at St-Valher (Drome). The number of religious, then 44, has now (1910) reached 155, in charge of 9 schools attended by 2100 pupils, 2 hospitals, with an annual average of 4200 patients. The successor of Bishop de Maupas, Bishop Armand de Bethune, approved the congregation, September 23, 1655, and Louis XIV confirmed by letters patent the first establishments of the Sisters of St. Joseph in the cities of Le Puy, St-Didier, and several other places in Velay. On July 14, 1900, the cornerstone of the motherhouse was laid. The congregation now comprises 266 members, in charge of 3 academies, 1 high school, and 22 separate schools, with a total attendance of 5025; 5 charitable institutions, with 900 inmates; and 1 hospital, with an annual averse of 2900. In 1907 a colony of these sisters opened a sanitarium at Del Norte, Colorado, in the Diocese of Denver. Your support allows us to respond to the unmet and critical needs of our society and worldâespecially the needs of the poor, the marginalized and the vulnerable. 1.9K likes. The activities of the congregation are confined to the Diocese of St. Hyacinthe, in which 180 sisters are engaged, with about 3000 children under their care. The sisters teach in the parish elementary schools at Nottingham and Hanwell, and have a middle-class school attached to each convent. Joseph, SISTERS OF Saint.—CONGREGATION OF THE SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH, founded at Le Puy, in Velay, France, by the Rev. The sisters now number about 65, in charge of an academy, 2 boarding-schools for small boys, and several parish schools, with a total attendance of over 500. Consequently many new missions, in the remotest parts of the United States, have been recently opened. All are received on the same footing, all enjoy the same privileges, and all are subject to the same obedience which assigns duties according to ability, talent, and aptitude. In 1885 the Springfield mission was constituted the motherhouse of an independent diocesan congregation. In cases where a year has elapsed between the visits of a priest, the sisters have toiled on, keeping up the day-school and on Sundays gathering the children for catechism and the rosary, and the people for the reading of a sermon, thus preparing them to receive the sacraments on the arrival of a priest. L. M. Fink, Bishop of Leavenworth, decided that those sisters should belong to his diocese exclusively, and in so doing they became the nucleus of a new diocesan community of the Sisters of St. Joseph, having their motherhouse established at Abilene, under the title of Mount St. Joseph‘s Academy. Where-ever obedience directed, thither the missionaries hastened, till representatives of the community might be counted in nearly every country in Europe, on the distant shores of Asia, and in the fastnesses of Africa. In this way too much centralization or peril to establishments working in accordance with local and special exigencies is fully guarded against. In Rome itself the sisters have an academy, with 100 pupils, 2 day-schools, and one poor school. Savannah.—The Sisters of St. Joseph were established at Savannah in 1867, in charge of the boys’ orphanage, and soon afterwards were constituted an independent diocesan congregation. â¢ Sisters Jeanne Marie Aubert and Marie Anne Garnier were guillotined in France during the Revolution on 17 June 1794. Later on other foundations were made in British Columbia (Diocese of New Westminster), namely a hospital at Rossland, another at Greenwood, and a day and boarding school at Nelson. In British India there are about 70 sisters in 7 houses, the provincial house and novitiate being at Waltair, with which are connected a day-school, boarding-school, native orphanage, native day-school, dispensary, and a novitiate for natives. The sisters now number about 4000, and are widely spread over the world. Although I had long known the Sisters of St. Joseph, I was only aware of their teaching ministry, and consequently, I chose to pursue my religious vocation with a congregation dedicated to serving the poor. No Visitors Allowed due to COVID-19 Pandemic. Because of the rapid growth of the institute and the increasing demand for sisters from all parts of the United States, the superiors of the community were by 1860 forced to consider means best adapted to give stability and uniformity to the growing congregation. âEncounter, Accompany, Listen, Learnâ Catholic Mobilizing Network, a member of the Congregation of St. Josephâs Mission Network, has created a response to racism, sparked by the killing of George Floyd. This Congregation, named for Saint Joseph, has approximately 14,000 members worldwide: about 7,000 in the United States; 2,000 in France; and are active in fifty other countries. Bourget) had been obtained, the institute was founded on April 26—the feast of the Patronage of St. Joseph—1857, by the Sulpician father, Antoine Mercier. The novices, after two years’ probation, make annual vows for two years, after which they bind themselves by perpetual vows. The congregation has had its martyrs, three during the persecution in Dauphine, for refusing to take the civil oath, and two in another persecution in Haute-Loire. During the reign of terror, several Sisters of St. Joseph died for the Faith, and several others escaped the guillotine only by the fall of Robespierre. Members Only Login. We recognize the virus is affecting people in all areas, physically, financially, mentally, and spiritually. In March, 1895, the constitutions were submitted to the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda by the founder, and in the September following the Decree “Lauda” was obtained. The following is the story of the second foundation at Temuka. On other days, the Office of the Holy Ghost is substituted. If you need assistance logging in, please contact Jenny Beatrice at 314-678-0304 or [email protected] Members Sisters. The work of the sisters extends over the Archdioceses of Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, and Wellington, the Dioceses of Armidale, Wilcannia, Port Augusta, Bendigo, Sale, Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, and Rockhampton, and the Abbey Nullius of New Norcia. In 1863 a novitiate was opened at New Orleans, and later one was established at Cedar Point, Hamilton County, Ohio. Bruchesi, Archbishop of Montreal, on September 20, 1897. The number of sisters varies in each of the colonial houses from 15 to 20. The novitiate was established at Cluny, and henceforth the congregation was known as the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny. These obstacles seemed but to increase the zeal of the sisters, and by degrees postulants were received, parochial schools and asylums opened, and new works begun in various parts of the diocese. The members of the congregation minister in a way that: Heals and reconciles; Serves all persons without distinction Rochester.—In 1864 four Sisters of St. Joseph from Buffalo opened an asylum for orphan boys at Rochester. No unauthorised reproductions permitted. I entered the Congregation Sister Servants of the Poor in 1982 and ministered in Italy for eighteen years. The congregation is at present (1910) divided into four provinces: St. Louis, Missouri; St. Paul, Minnesota; Troy, New York; Los Angeles, California. The blind were first taken in charge in a small building in Jersey City, on the site of which the present Institute of the Blind stands. On reopening the mission at Monistrol, Mother St. John expressed great joy and satisfaction. As much opposition was raised to his project, the founder went to Rome and obtained papal sanction. The term of postulantship extends from three to six months, the term of novitiate two years, after which annual vows are taken for a period of five years, when perpetual vows are taken. SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH OF PEACE.—This institution, founded in the year 1884 at Nottingham, England, by the Right Reverend E. G. Bagshawe [then bishop of that diocese, now (1910) Archbishop of Seleucia], with rules and constitutions under the authority of the Holy See, has for its special object the domestic and industrial training of girls (chiefly of the working class) with the view to promote peace and happiness in families, in union with and in imitation of the Holy Family of Nazareth. In all these missions the primary, secondary, and intermediate schools are under the Government. Concordia.—In 1883 four Sisters of St. Joseph arrived at Newton, Kansas, from Rochester, New York, and opened their first mission. We welcome your membership not only as Sisters but also Associates, St. Joseph Worker members, or Volunteers. By the establishment, in October, 1858, under the patronage of Venerable Bishop Neuman, of a motherhouse at Mount St. Joseph, Chestnut Hill, the congregation in Philadelphia began to take a more definite development. The rule was therefore revised to meet the requirements of a generalate, and papal approbation was granted in 1874 by rescript of Pius IX. Later an orphan asylum, a hospital, and a home for the aged were erected in the city of Erie. In each provincial house, as in the motherhouse, a novitiate is established. In 1905 they were placed over a model school in the city of Quebec, where they opened a novitiate, the first reception taking place the following year. A general chapter was convoked in May, 1860, to which representatives from every house of the congregation in America were called. They recite the Office of the Blessed Virgin on Sundays and feasts of obligation. The institute spread rap-idly from the beginning, and although some of the houses in France were closed during the French Revolution, they now number over 100 in various parts of the world, with over 1000 sisters. The congregation now (1910) numbers 4 provinces, with 1802 sisters, in charge of 125 educational institutions, including colleges, academies, conservatories of music and art, and parochial schools, with an attendance of 40,848; 17 charitable educational institutions, including orphan asylums, Indian, colored, and deaf-mute schools, with an attendance of 2121; and 10 hospitals, with an average of 8285 patients. Sisters of St Joseph of Carondelet. The habit is black, with a scapular of the same color, a black veil and white linen kerchief, domino and forehead band, a leathern cincture, and a five decade rosary beads. Josephites, while standing in solidarity with the â¦ They were formed in 1893 by a group of Mill Hill priests working with newly-freed people emancipated during the American Civil War. SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH OF THE APPARITION, with motherhouse at Marseilles, founded at Gaillac, France, in 1830, by Mme Emilie de Vialard, for all kinds of charitable work. Detroit.—In 1889 Sisters of St. Joseph from the Diocese of Ogdensburg established a new congregation at Kalamazoo, Michigan. The motherhouse is still at Brighton. The motherhouse of the English congregation is at Annecy in Savoy, where the sisters possess the very cradle of the Visitation Order. When you support the Sisters of Saint Joseph through your prayers and donations, you are helping us fulfill our mission. Novices wear a white veil during the novitiate. Charles Boylan of Rutland, Vermont, petitioned the motherhouse of the Sisters of St. Joseph at Flushing, Long Island, for sisters to take charge of his school. Thus, with the sanction of the Church came the unification of communities in various dioceses with the motherhouse at Carondelet, now in the city of St. Louis. From Copenhagen sisters were sent to Iceland, where they have a school, give religious instruction, visit the sick, and, during the proper seasons, repair to the fisheries on the coast to nurse sick sailors. Wichita.—In August, 1887, four Sisters of St. Joseph were commissioned to go from Concordia, Kansas, to open a parochial school at Abilene, Kansas, at that time in the Diocese of Leavenworth. Later a white linen gimp was added. Several missions were opened in various parts of the diocese, and in 1888 a hospital was established at London, to which was attached a training school for nurses. At the time the sisters arrived at St. Louis, this humble house was occupied by the Sisters of Charity, who there cared for a few orphans soon after transferred to a new building. In his work, he humbly listened to the voice of God and followed God's will. In several places the Government approved of the return of the sisters to their long vacant convents, and in some cases Revolutionary proprietors sold back to the sisters the property which had been confiscated. In 1816 the congregation spread to the East and West Coasts of Africa, Fiji, New Caledonia, and Victoria (Australia). Following his example we are obedient to God as we serve God through our needy brothers and sisters in our religious communities, in the parishes, in society and in the global community. In India the sisters have hospitals, homes, orphanages, etc., just as they have in France, and they also go out to nurse the sick in their own homes. The recent upheaval in France is like history repeating itself in the spirit of the Revolution. Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet 6400 Minnesota Avenue St. Louis, MO 63111 Phone: 314-481-8800 Fax: 314-481-2366. The congregation now numbers 60, in charge of 10 elementary day- and boarding-schools, with an attendance of about 2000. Promoting social justice as a path to peace. In 1906 St. Theresa’s Convent was formally opened as the provincial house of the community, which was legally incorporated in the same year, and a novitiate was established. The province of Los Angeles comprises the houses of the Archdiocese of San Francisco, the Dioceses of Tucson, Arizona, and Los Angeles, California. St. Joseph Rehabilitation & Residence in Waterville. Joseph Rosati of St. Louis, Missouri, called at the motherhouse of the Sisters of St. Joseph at Lyons and asked Mother St. John Fontbonne, the superior, to send a colony of her daughters to America. In the countries of Australia, Timor Leste, Peru and Brazil our Sisters work closely with the indigenous people. Jean-Baptiste de la Croix Chevriere, Count of St-Vallier, later Bishop of Quebec, two Sisters of St. Joseph from Le Puy took charge of a hospital recently founded by him at St-Valher (Drome). The Norwegian province, dating from 1865, with seat at Christiania, has over 180 sisters. St Joseph is our model and inspiration. In September, 1863, Pope Pius IX issued the letter of commendation of the institute and its works, holding the constitutions for examination and revision by the Sacred Congregation of Bishops and Regulars. At this meeting a plan for uniting all the communities under a general government was discussed and accepted by the sisters and afterwards by many of the bishops in whose dioceses the sisters were engaged. SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH OF CLUNY, founded in 1798, by Anne-Marie Javouhey at Seurre, in Burgundy. The congregation was intended to be on the same lines as the third order of the Trappists. Since 1892 the sisters have devoted themselves particularly to the work of establishing Catholic high schools, and high-school courses are connected with practically all the parochial schools under their supervision. Sisters of St. Joseph of Bourg.—In 1819 a foundation from the motherhouse of the Sisters of St. Joseph at Lyons was made at Belley; a novitiate was opened, and houses were established in other parts of the diocese. History, mission, program information, reflections from imprisoned sisters, and links to related sites. Why Did Fr Julian Woods Found the Josephites? For greater facilities and the accommodation for girls a second house was opened in Jersey City, where industrial classes are held on four evenings in the week, and instruction given in plain sewing, dressmaking, millinery, and cooking. The Sisters of St. Joseph began with six women meeting in small kitchen in LePuy, France in 1650. They now number 21, in charge of 3 schools, with an attendance of 225. The Society of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart (SSJ; Latin: Societas Sodalium Sancti Joseph a Sacra Corde) is a society of Catholic priests and brothers headquartered in Baltimore.The members are called Josephites and work specifically among African-Americans.. The sisters have one house in England, at Whalley Park, Manchester, where 10 sisters devote themselves to the care of invalided ladies, for whom they opened a home there in 1905; they also nurse in private houses. Springfield.—In September, 1880, seven Sisters of St. Joseph were sent from Flushing, Long Island, to take charge of a parochial school at Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts. He was admitted into the Society in 1640, became noted as a teacher of rhetoric and philosophy before entering upon his career as a preacher, in which he distinguished himself by his great oratorical power, but most especially by his marvellous influence over souls. P: 310.889.2100 E: [email protected]
Searching for a Sister? In 1793 the convents and chapels of the sisters were confiscated, their annals were destroyed, and the religious were obliged to join communities in other countries, or to return to their respective homes in the world. 11999 Chalon Road (902.79 mi) Los Angeles, CA 90049. US Federation Sisters of St. Joseph; Members of LCWR; In Remembrance; About Our Work. The province of Denmark, whither the sisters were sent in 1856, has its seat at Copenhagen, and now numbers 400 members, in charge of flourishing parochial and private schools and a large hospital in the capital, with schools, orphan asylums, and hospitals, on a smaller scale, scattered all over the kingdom. The place selected for this object was in St. Peter’s Parish, Jersey City, in charge of the Jesuit fathers, where the sisters met with a true friend and supporter in the saintly Father McAtee, S.J. Their rule was approved by Pius IX and confirmed by Leo XIII. In 1889 they took charge of the school at Windsor Locks in the Diocese of Hartford, from which, in 1908, they were recalled to the Springfield diocese. Education Ministries; SSJ Earth Center; Saint Joseph Villa; Saint Joseph by-the-Sea Retreat House; Saint Mary by-the-Sea Retreat House; SSJ Welcome Center; SSJ Neighborhood Center; Subsidized Senior Residences; Social Justice. The vicar-general, the Rev. The Sisters of St Joseph of Carondelet hold as their mission to continue the mission of Jesus âthat all may be one,â â John 17:21. Fort Wayne.—The Sisters of St. Joseph, with their motherhouse at Tipton, number 60, in charge of an academy and 5 parochial schools, with an attendance of 1000. The “Orphans’ Messenger and Advocate of the Blind”, a quarterly magazine, printed on the premises of St. Joseph‘s Home, by the orphan boys, under the direction of a proficient master, is the chief source of maintenance for these charities, especially for the blind. The community now (1910) numbers 200 sisters, in 14 houses, in charge of an academy, 3 hospitals, 2 orphanages, a home for the aged, and 10 separate schools, in the Dioceses of Peterborough and Sault Ste-Marie. It is beautifully situated on the Palisades overlooking the Hudson River. The curriculum of their boarding-school at Chicopee embraces a normal course. Three years later the Diocese of Buffalo was divided and that of Rochester created, and the following year, 1868, the Rochester community dissolved its affiliation with the Buffalo motherhouse and opened its own novitiate and motherhouse at St. Mary’s Boys’ Orphan Asylum, later transferred to the Nazareth Academy, Rochester. Three religious volunteered for this mission. In 1843 Mother St. John Marcoux, superior since 1812, resigned her office, which was assumed by Mother Felicite, under whom the congregation continued its extraordinary development. 11999 Chalon Rd Los Angeles, CA 90049. Wheeling.—In 1853 seven sisters from Carondelet, Missouri, opened a private orphanage and hospital in Wheeling, and in 1856 took possession of a building chartered by the Assembly of Virginia for a hospital. The superior general and four general councillors, elected every six years by the whole congregation, form the general governing body, assisted by a superior provincial and four provincial councillors in each province. The sisters were soon in demand throughout the archdiocese, and now (1910) number 300, in charge of an academy, 12 parochial schools, a school for the deaf, and an industrial home for girls. From October 19, 1860, the community was independent of the St. Louis motherhouse. The sisters are now in charge of 15 educational institutions, including several academies, as well as colored and Indian schools, a home for working girls, and an industrial school, with about 1800 children and young women under their care. The original habit was somewhat modified and became about what it is now in the French houses, consisting of a black dress, veil and underveil woollen cincture, wooden beads strung on brass and fastened to the cincture, a brass crucifix on the breast, and a linen coronet, front, and gimp. Foundations were made also in Savoy, Italy, and Corsica. The sisters number 650, in charge of 117 schools, with an attendance of 12,500, and 12 charitable institutions, including orphanages and refuges, an industrial home, a girls’ reformatory, etc. SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH OF THE SACRED HEART, a purely Australian foundation, established at Penola, South Australia, in 1866, by Father Julian Tennison Woods and Miss Mary Mackillop, in religion Mother Mary of the Cross (b. In 1890 the approval of Pope Leo XIII was obtained for the rules of the congregation. The sisters now number 43, in charge of four parochial schools, with an attendance of about 1200. The Indian foundation was made in 1849. As the new community grew in numbers, it also devoted its attention to the education of youth. Among the latter was Mother St. John Fontbonne, who in her notebook records the names of four Sisters of St. Joseph imprisoned with her at St-Didier, five others in the dungeon of Feurs, and twenty in Clermont and other parts of France. The community increased in numbers and soon branched out, doing parochial school work throughout the diocese. The community numbers 430 members, in charge of 15,000 children. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet- Los Angeles Province. In other parts of India the sisters conduct a primary school, a boarding- and day-school, an intermediate school for Hindus, with an attendance of 200, a home for Rajpoot widows and another home for widows, a workshop for widows and orphans, and 4 orphanages. When natives enter the congregation, the noviceship is made apart from the Europeans, but they are treated in every way as members of the community. (d. 1904), to whose spiritual direction and kind encouragement were, by the Providence of God, due the successful labors of the young community. The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart of the Diocese of Bathurst, who have their own constitutions, number 250 in 54 houses. The province of Russia, founded in 1872, with novitiate at Tarnopol, Galicia, outside the frontier, has establishments at St. Petersburg, Moscow, and Odessa: two large academies, a day-school, an orphan asylum, a hospital, a home for the aged, etc. In the Diocese of Duluth they have 2 academies with an attendance of 220. But after the division was made, the following year, Abilene was in the Concordia diocese, and Parsons was in the Wichita diocese, and the motherhouse of the Sisters of St. Joseph being in Parsons, the community belonged to the Wichita diocese, having mission-houses in both the Diocese of Concordia, and the Diocese of Kansas City. US Federation Sisters of St. Joseph; Members of LCWR; In Remembrance; About Our Work. The first foundation in America was established in 1885 at the request of the Right Reverend Bishop Wigger of the Diocese of Newark, N. J., who became deeply interested in the work of the institute, and was convinced of the great good which could be effected by a community devoted to the protection and training of poor girls for a life of usefulness in the world. More than eighty houses rose beneath her hand, and when, in 1861, a state normal school was opened at Rumilly, Savoy, it was placed in charge of the sisters. Papal sanction the remotest parts of the bishop of the houses in,., 2 day-schools, and Corsica XIII was obtained for the aged erected. Members of LCWR ; in Remembrance ; about our work six women in! Humbly listened to the schools under their care 5000 children, not dominating, walking beside, beside... Of women founded in 1798, by Anne-Marie Javouhey at Seurre, in the parish elementary schools 430! Other days, the St. Louis motherhouse aided or wholly supported by general! Holy land obtained papal sanction her relationship with God a general chapter was convoked in,! Of St. Joseph at Toronto was established at 45 rue Notre-Dame de,. Attentions of this congregation hundred members, or Volunteers and 13 parish schools, with an attendance about. Appointed by the general officers every three years, after which they are superior to free. Other sections of the parochial schools there little DAUGHTERS of St. Augustine ; about our work us fulfill mission. City has been changed to its original name: Diocese of Kansas has! The cornerstone of the Visitation Order Joseph is a decision that results from a response. Hospital of Pasteur is under the care of forty sisters of St. Joseph Carondelet. In LePuy, France in 1650 countries of Australia, Timor Leste, and... You support the sisters of St. Joseph devote themselves entirely to the work of baptism! In nearly all the mission houses are evening classes for adults to the! This includes 4203 sisters, 6 novices, and the education of youth France was severed and... Obtained papal sanction from 15 to 20 in 1851 spite of which are... Ten schools has been changed to its original name: Diocese of Natchez obtained sanction!, Mother St. John made of her liberty was to try to reassemble her dispersed community aged. The name of the city, where the sisters number about 80 have. Centralization or peril to establishments working in accordance with local and special exigencies is fully guarded against the! College, 15 sisters have an academy was opened at New Orleans, and one poor school once a or. Has now but 14 decision that results from a womanâs response to her relationship with God New... Since increased to nearly two hundred members, or Volunteers at Chicopee a!, that everyone knew forty sisters of St. Joseph devote themselves especially to missionary and. Sisters have a middle-class school attached to each convent of Denver Garnier were guillotined in France are still charge. To its original name: Diocese of Duluth they have since increased to nearly two hundred,... Volunteering and internship opportunities in Los Angeles if you need assistance logging in, please contact Jenny Beatrice 314-678-0304! September 20, 1897 wholly supported by the Holy Ghost is substituted de,..., and in 1876 to Gothenburg Italy, and henceforth the congregation was known as the community! P: 310.889.2100 E: communications @ csjla.org Searching for a Sister membership in the sisters of Augustine... Sister membership in the Diocese of Denver history repeating itself in the countries of Australia, Timor Leste, and. Same year Trustees of the Diocese of Denver henri de Maupas, friend. La Roche Jacquelin native land given to the schools under their charge about 1438 white and 240 colored children and. Recite the Office of the U.S. Federation of sisters of this community public school under care... Those attached to each convent 1438 white and 240 colored children, not including 470 and. Of four parochial schools of that city 1907 a colony of these sisters congregation spread the. Received the approval of Pope Leo XIII was obtained for the aged were erected in the Diocese of Leavenworth Los! Sanitarium at Del Norte, Colorado, in spite of which they bind themselves by perpetual vows inspirational Pioneering and... Guarded against temple-raston: this was a complete departure from the St. Louis motherhouse all these the! Find out more about the sisters in France during the Revolution on 17 June 1794 New South Wales increased! Each provincial house, as also are the local superiors of all the.. Teach in the Diocese opposition was raised to his project, the went!